…’cos there are people out there who are naughty, not nice
In the run up to Christmas everyone is super busy: there are gifts to buy and wrap, cards to write, parties to attend, food to prepare and work to finish off before the Christmas break. It’s overwhelming but there are people out there who would seek to profit from this chaos so while you’re making your Christmas lists, don’t forget to make a home security list as well: a simple check list that would help to keep your home secure over the festive period when the chance of burglary increases significantly.
This doesn’t require Fort Knox style security, just a few things to remember to do to deter the people who think it’s better to receive than to give.
Here are our top 10 home security tips for the Christmas period:
- Keep gifts well hidden – not just from the prying eyes of recipients but from any potential intruders. They’re a bit too easy for them to find simply laying under the tree!
- Shut curtains as soon as it gets dark. We know that you want to show your beautifully decorated tree and sparkly lights off to the street but you could equally be showing burglars exactly what you have to steal
- Don’t ask the postman to leave deliveries in unsecured locations on your property as they could easily be taken before you get to them
- Ideally don’t keep large sums of cash in the house but if you have to, keep it in locked in a safe
- Don’t check in to your Christmas parties on social media as you’re just advertising that your house is unoccupied
- If you have a burglar alarm, make sure you set it when you leave the house or when you go to bed at night
- Make sure you keep all doors locked, even when you’re in. Carol singers at the front door could easily distract you while someone sneaks in at the back
- Don’t show off the lovely, expensive Christmas gifts you’ve received on social media as you’re just saying ‘look what I have’
- Have lights on timers if you’re out and about a lot doing shopping, visiting family, going to parties etc. It will make your home look occupied
- Be careful where you dispose of packaging for presents. Burglars will often go through bins to seek clues for what you may have received
Christmas is a special time of year but a burglary could absolutely ruin it so don’t allow your home to be vulnerable. Following these tips could make all the difference.
If we can offer you any further home security advice please give us a call on 0800 612 9799 or send us a message.